Whether you are going on a job interview or starting a new job, it is important to have a good appearance. What you are wearing is the first thing that an employer will notice. It may not seem fair, but it’s true. People do judge you based on your appearance.
The same thing is true for a new job. The first impression your new coworkers will have of you will be based on your appearance.
Here are some tips to help you dress to impress:
- A suit and tie is best. Dark, plain colors are recommended.
- If you do not own a suit, then dress slacks and a white button down shirt are recommended. You should still wear a tie if you have one.
- Wear dark, polished dress shoes.
- Your tie and belt should match.
- Make sure you are clean shaven. If you have a beard it should be neat and trimmed.
- A pants suit or skirt suit is best. Dark and basic colors are recommended.
- Wear conservative and polished dress shoes.
- Dresses are discouraged.
- Don’t wear too much makeup.
- Do not bring a large purse. A small purse or briefcase is recommended.
- Make sure your hair is cut and styled. A conservative style is recommended.
- Make sure your fingernails are cut.
- You can wear cologne or perfume but not too much.
- Brush your teeth and make sure your breath is fresh.
- Make sure you don’t have any body odor.
- Do not wear too much jewelry. Jewelry is generally not a good idea for men.
- You should have no visible tattoos or piercings. Ear piercings on women are okay.
If you don’t think you own anything nice enough to wear on a job interview and you cannot afford new clothes, there are places to turn for help
- Career Gear is an organization that helps disadvantaged men in certain areas get clothes for interviews and jobs.
- Dress For Success is an organization that helps disadvantaged women get the clothes they need for job interviews and work.
- Local men’s and women’s shelters may also be able to help you get clothes for an interview.
Watch a video of what to wear and what not to wear to a job interview.